Barnyard (also known as Barnyard: The Original Party Animals) is a 2006 American computer-animated comedy film, distributed by Paramount Pictures, co-produced by Nickelodeon Movies, O Entertainment and Omation Animation Studio, directed by Steve Oedekerk (who was also one of the producers and the main writer) with music by John Debney and co-produced by Paul Marshal. It was released on August 4, 2006. The film stars the voices of Kevin James, Courteney Cox, Sam Elliott, Danny Glover, Wanda Sykes, Andie MacDowell and David Koechner. Most of the production was carried out in San Clemente, California. The film is the second Nickelodeon movie to spin-off into a TV series, the first being Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. The film grossed $116.5 million worldwide against a $51 million production budget.
Why It Sucks
- The character designs are ugly (especially that of Daisy the Cow).
- Dreadful attempts at humor.
- It's very clichéd.
- Otis, Ben and the other Jersey cows are male, and yet they have big udders. Also, an actual bull makes an appearance in the movie and is treated as a separate species, which doesn't make sense.
- Otis and his friends act like stereotypical teenagers.
- Mostly terrible characters.
- A great saying like "A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others." does not belong in this movie.
- Promotes wild partying, carjacking, speeding, evading the police and excess drinking.
- Adult jokes in a kids' movie, when Otis says: "Milk me!", it sounds like he's saying "F*** me!".
- Decent animation.
- Decent voice-acting. Wanda Sykes did a good job voicing Bessy.
- Dag manages to be an utterly terrifying villain.
- Great soundtrack. Sam Elliot's cover of "I Won't Back Down" is great.
- Some funny moments here and there.
- Ben's death is an incredibly sad scene.