Test screening refers to preview screenings of movies to check both how viewers will react and its rating system by Motion Picture Association of America (from family-friendly to mature) to ensure that the film is complete and ready to be viewed. Some movies encountered some problems in test screening and received poor reception (or some other films are gave an postive reception), leading to either re-shoots, editing, re-dub or scenes that are received poorly to be edited out and removed until it had to rushed after the release date, or even worst that some other scenes or uncuts are very rare to find on pubic release.
Which later in possibly 2010s it use to make of "Director's Cut" or "Extended Cut" that it use to find of the lost scenes from films that it can be fixed and make it on released from mostly cinemas and even DVD or Blu-Ray that it gave an praise from moviegoers and even critics.
Examples of Corruption
- In a kids’ films, if it has a scary and even gruesome theme, said theme will be either kept or removed.
- In the animated film Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, it shown of the footage that the main antagonist Joker is use to torture at Robin and turn him to JJ (known as Joker Junior) then Batman is been stabbed painful by the Joker's knife so he gave Junior an prop gun to shoot Batman but then Junior shoot at the Joker, leaving his final words "That's not funny... that's not..." and died, the reason why it was been removed that it was followed in the infamous event of Columbine High School massacre so Warner Bros Studios is worried that it use to edited the Joker's death is been water all over him and accidentally electrocuted to death, then later of three years after the massacre it was released of the The Original Uncut Version that it shown of the true death of the Joker only in PG-13 along all the footages has been removed.
- The Disney animated film The Black Cauldron is going to be 92 minutes, but it was happened when it was hired Jeffrey Katzenberg (a former worker of Disney until he worked with DreamWorks) to remove the scenes of 12 minutes where it was too graphic and scary for kids; In the scene when the main antagonist The Horned King is rise the Cauldron Born and started to jump at his useless henchmen where it shown of an most gruesome death where it was founded on YouTube.
- Scooby-Doo that some entire scenes are use on the PG-13, but then the test audiences think it was very scary for young children then some other scenes are been removed in the final cut but never release on the DVD for the deleted scenes.
- Ralph Bakshi's 1992 animated/live action movie Cool World is a rare example of this not even being meant for kids in the first place and more to do with executive meddling rather than test audience reaction. It was originally going to be an R-rated horror movie where Jack Deebs (a normal human) and Debbie Dallas (a cartoon woman; she ended up being Holli Would in the final film) have a half-human and half-cartoon daughter who hates herself and considers murdering her father because she feels neglected by him. Unfortunately, the movie's producer Frank Mancuso Jr. (who ironically produced the Friday the 13th films for Paramount) objected to the movie's original premise and secretly rewrote the screenplay into a PG-13 rated Who Framed Roger Rabbit? knock-off as Paramount was also looking for a way to cash in on that movie's success. To add insult to injury, Kim Basinger, who played Holli Would in the film, also agreed with the producer to make the film more "family-friendly" so she can show the movie to sick children in hospitals. The end result led to it having an inconsistent tone, loads of plot holes in the story alone, and not only being the movie that caused Bakshi to retire from making movies, but also derailed Frank and Kim's careers.
- In Toy Story, when Pixar is brought the rights from Walt Disney Animation Studios until the head known as Jeffrey Katzenberg is told Pixar to make the story as adult and cynical, like the main protagonist Sheriff Woody is portray as selfish and rude leader. The result backfired horribly; after a screening for the Disney executives known as "The Black Friday Incident", Roy Disney declared it the worst thing he'd ever seen, while company president Peter Schneider wanted the entire film scrapped. Katzenberg realized that he had a negative effect on the film's production after a discussion with Thomas Schumacher, and Pixar was given two weeks to rewrite the film as they saw fit.
- Removing footage that involves important scenes of that it follow to the script. If this happens, it can leave viewers confused and affect the reception of that movie from moviegoers, fans, and critics.
- The original Japanese version of Pokémon The First Movie, the movie opens with the 'Origin of Mewtwo' where it was happen when Mewtwo is a friend with young girl name Amber until she disappeared. But for its North American release, 4Kids Entertainment cut that scene, redubbed and edited the rest of the movie to play out like an episode from the TV series.
- In Thomas and the Magic Railroad; this film was have an few difference to the final cut that it has been founded by the fandom and in the internet, the film was originally running about in 110 minutes. When Britt is been pushed by the audiences againest her wishies where the film is only got about in 85 minutes is are the few reasons why the film got negative reviews. Later it was become as a cult-following from the internet as they wanted the uncut version to released.
- The main antagonist P.T. Boomer (portrayed as Doug Lennox) where he was jealous of Burnett Stone that it stole from Tasha and he is the one is wreck Lady not Diesel 10 (which Diesel 10 is the secondary villain), but after in the test screening it was too scary for younger audiences which it was been cut and edited down, which Boomer can be founded in minor parts of the final cut and it also found footage of the chase scene on YouTube.
- The voice cast is been changing when it start the test, John Bellis an both a fireman and part-time taxi driver that he is originally play as Thomas but it was sound to old so it was change to Edward Glen, next is Diesel 10 that he was play as Australian voice actor Keith Scott (who also play as Bullwinkle J. Moose in " The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle" and even the Narrator from "George of the Jungle" along with " The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle") but like Doug it was too scary which it was replaced with Neil Crone with an Russian accent but the testers think it was too offensive which it only gave him New Jersey accent.
- Heaven's Gate had its biggest problem of the test screening that the edited version is 149 minutes long (it originally ran at 325 minutes, which meant 5 hours and 25 minutes; Director Michael Cimino only cutted it down to 149 minutes in an attempt to save the movie from its negative reviews) and had become the worst movie in cinema; later in 2012 it re-released of 219 minutes long that it found of the lost footage from the film, then the critics gave positive reviews of the director's cut.
- Event Horizon is use to be made in 130 minutes where it shown of highly gore scenes where it was pass at the R rating, but Paramount Pictures is been worried and disturbed that it use to remove 30 minutes to make it only in MA rating, which one of the producer who work in the film is got the full footage on the VHS but never been shown.
- In the 1993 film known as Super Mario Bros. the first video game movie is been heavily edited from the test audience for unknown reasons where it shown of lost scenes are found on the trailers and images; for example the victim is turned into green ooze in the Devo Chamber but it was been removed in the final cut which you can clearly seen of the green ooze on the floor.
- In Maximum Overdrive some other scenes are been cut from the test audiences that it was pass from R rating for example: The kid head exploded by the steamroller which the frame is been seen but some other frame is gone.
- The Thief and the Cobbler is supposed to been making of smoothly animation by Richard Williams (who also made Who Framed Roger Rabbit) about few years to completed, until some the movie agents rejected the director and then the test audiences is getting confused from the scenes so it was been cut with the help of Miramax to create this movie after when the film released before Disney's Aladdin but it was become as a critical failure, few years later an multiple of fans is creating with the help of Richard Williams known as the Recobbed Cut.
- In the third computer-animated film based on the video game called The Angry Birds Movie, where in the script is had making the famous YouTuber name Toby Turner (also known as Tobuscus) is going to be as a bird character name "Perry" as a cameo like Smosh as Hal and Bubbles, but after the voice recording Toby is been rejected from the final cut that the test audiences don't like Toby that it was happen to the Toby's sexual abuse allegations.
- Walking with Dinosaurs was originally supposed to be a silent, with no dialogue or voice-overs where some many Dinosaurs never talk. But the test audiences included the producers however is been confused of without any plot, and thus voices were dubbed over the finished animation, presumably in an attempt to capture the success of earlier talking dinosaur films like Dinosaur and The Land Before Time.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is going to have many gruesome deaths (Conan O'Brien shoot himself at the mouth), many profanity, more songs and more stories but when MPAA appears that it was completely deleted and destroyed many scenes before the final release.
- If the movie has a sad ending (known as a "downer ending") where, for example, the main protagonist dies while the main antagonist wins, test audiences are likely to be angered, resulting with a reshoot or a reedit so that the movie has a happy ending.
- The remake of Little Shop of Horrors was originally going to end with Audrey II eating the two protagonists Audrey and Semore, and subsequently "ruling" the world by destroying and eating all that remains of human civilization. The theatrical version instead ends with the main hero destroying the plant. The original ending was made available in Blu-Ray versions of the movie.
- In the 1999 horror movie Deep Blue Sea the original ending was that the heroine have finally destroyed the man-eating shark, but until then the audience despised the ending and reply to the director quote "Kill this bitch", so the ending have been alternate of the shark killing the main heroine.
- The 2007 movie I Am Legend was originally going to end like it's 1954 novel, with Neville realizing that he is the monster to the Darkseekers (which was the point of the novel) and tries to make peace with them. Apparently, the test audience didn't like this ending and wanted a different ending. It was instead changed to an ending that removes all reason for the movie to be called "I Am Legend", where Neville blows up the lab with the Darkseekers and himself. Eventually, the movie's original ending was made available on it's special DVD version under the "Controversial Original Ending" option.
- Not much of the bad ending from Jaws: The Revenge, in the Theatrical release when Ellen rams the Neptune's Folly into the shark then to bleed heavily and eventually sinks into the ocean, but in later the both theatrical and DVD release it was been changed the death of the shark when Ellen rams him and causing the shark to exploded into pieces (which you can clearly seen at freeze-frame that the special effect is very fake) due to the test audiences is wanted to change the shark death been exploded.
- In 2007 independent found footage supernatural horror Paranormal Activity is have about two original endings and one alternate, first was that the police is arrived and shoot Katie and the second was that possessed Katie is walking with the kitchen knife and cut herself in the throat where she was committed suicide. After when Paramount Pictures is acquired the film it was been shocked to see it and their wanted to ask the director was changed the ending was Micah is been thrown out and then the possessed Katie is destroy the camera or possibly the police arrived and shoot at Katie which it will making the sequel.
- The original ending for National Lampoon's Vacation had it the Griswolds not getting into Wally World