Die Another Day is the twentieth James Bond movie, released in 2002. It is also the last movie in the series to star Pierce Brosnan in the title role.
The movie is widely considered to be one of the worst James Bond movies ever.
After a mission gone wrong, Bond (Brosnan) gets imprisoned by the North Korean military. 14 months later, he is traded for KPA officer-turned-terrorist Zao (Rick Yune) as part of a prisoner exchange. When he gets discharged by MI6, he becomes a rogue agent to continue his hunt for Zao.
While hunting down Zao, he is joined by NSA agent Jinx (Halle Berry). Eventually, the two come across billionaire and diamond mogul Gustav Graves (Toby Stephens), who may or may not have connections with the North Koreans.
Why it Sucks
- Unbelievably terrible and extremely obvious CGI effects, especially during the para-surfing scene.
- Tries way too hard in throwing in homages and references to earlier James Bond movies.
- Comes across as being a self-parody in several scenes, such as a henchman who is named "Mr. Kil", and the fact that one of Bond’s gadgets is an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish that can turn invisible.
- Schizophrenic editing with poor slow-motion effects.
- Poor acting, except for Brosnan and John Cleese of Monty Python fame, who plays Q.
- A terrible theme song by Madonna, with awful autotune and lyrics to boot.
- Cringe-worthy dialogue.