Half Past Dead is a 2002 action film starring Steven Seagal, rappers Ja Rule and Kurupt, and Morris Chestnut, and was directed by Don Michael Paul. It is known for being the last Seagal movie to be released theatrically until 2010‘s Machete. It has also received a quasi direct-to-video sequel starring former WCW and WWE wrestler Bill Goldberg in 2007.
It should also be noted that the movie's script was written before the release of the 1996 Michael Bay movie The Rock.
After a heist gone wrong and having a near-death experience, Russian-American car thief Sasha Petrosevitch (Steven Seagal), along with Nick Frazier (Ja Rule), gets incarcerated in the newly reopened prison of Alcatraz Island.
When a group of terrorists calling themselves the "49ers", led by Donald "49er One" Johnson (Chestnut), raid and take over the prison with the intention of forcing Death Row inmate Lester McKenna (Bruce Weitz) to give up the location of his $200 million worth of gold, Petrosevitch, Frazier, and the inmates set out to take down the terrorists.
Why it Sucks
- Poor PG-13 censorship. The movie was originally rated R, but in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the movie‘s producers were under the impression that no one would want to watch violent movies anymore.
- Mind-numbingly dumb story full of plotholes.
- Poorly made and unintentionally hilarious action scenes.
- One-dimensional acting.
- Frazier is pretty much useless for most of the movie; his only purpose is to get beaten up.
- The film's failure pretty much torpedoed Steven Seagal's film career.