Jupiter Ascending is a 2015 epic space opera film directed and written by the Wachowskis, starring Mila Kunis, Channing Tatum, Sean Bean, and Eddie Redmayne.
It was originally going to be released in 2014, but Warner Bros. pushed it back to February 2015. Following its release, it received a 25% score on Rotten Tomatoes, and flopped domestically in the US, making only $47 million out of a $176 million budget. It was also deemed by many to be a campy and "so bad it’s good" movie, while other detractors deem it to be simply a boring and derivative movie.
Jupiter Jones (Kunis) is an ordinary young woman who works as a house cleaner. However, little did she know that she is the descendant of an intergalactic queen. One of the queen’s sons, Balem (Redmayne) sends his henchmen to kill her, but the other, Titus (Douglas Booth) sends the wolf-human hybrid Caine Wise (Tatum) to protect her. Both Jupiter and Wise decide to team up with Stinger Apini (Bean) to stop the siblings and protect Jupiter’s claim as the new queen.
Why it Sucks
- Hilariously bad acting, which range from being emotionless (Kunis) to being overly hammy (Redmayne).
- Has way too much exposition which only serves to bore the audience to death.
- A ridiculous and downright cliché story that is equivalent to a bad fanfiction (bees being an indication of royalty, for instance), and outright steals scenes from other media, mainly other movies and anime. While this maybe coincidental, one Tumblr user noted numerous similarities of the movie’s premise and characters with Rumiko Takahashi’s manga/anime series, Inuyasha.
- Almost the entire cast boil down to being "DeviantArt OCs". Caine is basically a lone-fallen angel-werewolf.
- Despite being the heroine of the story, Jupiter does barely anything for most the story other than being saved by Caine every so often.
- Does a poor job in handling serious topics that it presented, such as exploitative capitalism.
- Ridiculous set design and costumes.