Open Season is a 2006 computer-animated adventure comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation as their first feature film. It was directed by Roger Allers and Jill Culton, written by Steve Bencich and Ron J. Friedman, and stars the voices of Martin Lawrence, Ashton Kutcher, Debra Messing and Gary Sinise.
A 900-pound grizzly bear named Boog (Martin Lawrence) decides to team up with a one-antlered deer named Elliot (Ashton Kutcher) and other woodland animals to defeat a gang of human hunters led by the sadistic Shaw (Gary Sinise).
- Bland animation.
- The humour is bad and it's in very poor taste.
- Inappropriate stuff for a kids movie. Adult jokes and Elliot saying the word "crapping" are examples of this.
- It has a clichéd story, already featured in movies like Cars and Madagascar, with the main protagonist getting lost somewhere he had never been before and trying to fit in.
- Good voice-acting.
- Some good gags like the ones that take place when Boog arrives into the wilderness.
- Despite its flaws, the movie features a rather good "odd-couple" comedy.
- The scene where Boog and Beth the ranger part ways is pretty touching.
- The movie's soundtrack is actually pretty good.