Project X is a 2012 American comedy film directed by Nima Nourizadeh, co-written by Michael Bacall and Matt Drake based on a story by Bacall, and produced by Todd Phillips. The story was loosely based on a real party held by a high school student called Corey Delaney.
Despite making $100 million worldwide at the box office, the film received negative reviews.
This film shouldn’t be confused with the 1987 Matthew Broderick film of the same name.
Three friends - Thomas, Costa, and J.B. - plan to gain popularity by throwing a party, a plan which quickly escalates out of control.
Why It Sucks
- It's a rip-off of Superbad, right down to the similarities between the characters, such as Costa being an even more unlikable version of Seth.
- This film caused a lot of incidents known a "Project X parties".
- Stupid concept for a movie. It is based on a real party held in Australia by a student who invited around 500 people thanks to his idea to post the invitation on the internet. The party obviously went out of control forcing the police to arrive at the place and put down a real riot.
- The characters aren't likeable and just come off as idiots.
- The film endorses the character's bad behavior and shows that there are no consequences to their actions. The film ends with Costa getting acquitted for his crimes and the girl Thomas has feelings for still liking him despite treating her badly.