Seed of Chucky is a 2004 horror comedy film starring Brad Dourif, Jennifer Tilly, Billy Boyd, Redman and a small appearance by John Waters. It was the fifth film in the series and the final Child's Play/Chucky film to be released theatrically. The film was written and directed by Don Mancini, the creator of the Chucky franchise. The film was followed up with two direct to DVD and Blu-ray sequels titled Curse of Chucky in 2013 and Cult of Chucky in 2017.
The movie begins with a Look Who's Talking reference where Chucky's sperm goes inside Tiffany's womb where a baby is conceived and grows over time. Then, the scene ends with the baby passing through the vagina. Six years after the events of Bride of Chucky, a little girl named Claudia gets a doll as a birthday present, which she describes as the ugliest thing she ever saw in her life. Later on, the doll gets up, picks up a knife, and climbs downstairs to kill Claudia's mother, but is found by Claudia's father, who proceeds to scold Claudia for leaving her toy in the stairs hallways. He gets stabbed by the doll in the chest, causing him to fall from the staircase to his death. Then, the doll rushes to the bathroom, where Claudia's mother is taking a shower and proceeds to kill her. Then, it heads to Claudia's room, but when the doll urinates his pants, she ridicules him.
This sequence turns out to be a nightmare that Chucky and Tiffany's child Glen was having as he's waken up locked in a cage by his ventriloquist owner Psychs, who nicknamed him "Shitface". Glen is also the star of a puppet show called "Psychs and Shitface" and wonders what his parents look like. Then, we cut to a man dressed up as Santa Claus walking through a cemetery and talking to his girlfriend via a cellphone while a knife cuts through his toy sack, causing the toys to fall out. Angered, he kicks the toys until he comes upon Chucky in front of one of the tombstones. Tiffany comes in and restrains him with a slinky. Chucky starts stabbing him until it turns out to be a scene for a movie titled "Chucky Goes Psycho" and the man retires from being in it. While Jennifer Tilly talks to her agent Joan, she hides a candy bar in the animatronic Chucky's pocket. She is tired of Hollywood not taking her seriously. She hears from Joan that rapper Redman is looking for an actress to his directorial debut film about the Virgin Mary. Meanwhile, Glen in his cage, sees behind the scenes footage of the movie on TV, he sees the mark "Made in Japan" on Chucky's hand which he also has and says "I'm not an orphan after all!". Psychs turns off the TV and orders Glen to kill a rat. However, Glen starts petting it and the rat bites his finger, allowing Glen to escape. He runs away from Psychs, hops on a truck, and travels to Hollywood, in search for Chucky and Tiffany.
Jennifer Tilly and Redman meet, with Jennifer flirting with him. Chucky and Tiffany are in a prop room for the horror film, which has various monster props. Glen has Chucky's voodoo amulet the "Heart of Damballa" and uses it to wake up Chucky and Tiffany. They realize that Glen is their child, so Chucky faints, but he wakes up again. Puppeteer Tony Gardner (played by himself) takes Tiffany apart, only to discover she has organs inside her. Chucky and Tiffany decapitate him with a piano wire, making Glen horrified. This also makes him urinate his pants. They argue whether if Glen is a boy or a girl (due to his lack of genitals). Chucky labels him as a boy while Tiffany labels him as a girl, calling him "Glenda". When Jennifer Tilly finds Gardner's head, she thinks it's fake, but when it turns out to be real, she screams and calls the police. Chucky, Tiffany and Glen sneak into Jennifer's limo, where Jennifer kisses her chauffeur, Stan. In the limo, Chucky and Tiffany decide to use the Heart of Damballa to transfer their souls into Jennifer and Redman's bodies.
At Jennifer's residence, Glen asks his parents why they kill other people, which Chucky responds by telling him it is a hobby to make them relax and a family tradition for generations. Glen says that violence is bad, which Chucky responds "Violins, violins are bad. Their screechy music's gonna ruin the goddamn country!". However, Tiffany agrees with Glen and tells Chucky that they have a problem with killing. He says that he doesn't have a problem with it and asks what's wrong with it, which Tiffany responds "Killing is an addiction, like any other drug.". After an argument, Chucky pretends to do so, crossing his fingers behind his back to get Tiffany to close her mouth. Meanwhile, Redman arrives as Joan is fired by Jennifer for trying to interfere. Photographer Pete Peters (Waters) arrives and takes pictures of Jennifer and Redman having sex and of Chucky masturbating to a Fangoria magazine. Tiffany knocks out Jennifer and Redman, just as Peters leaves. She uses a baster to inseminate Jennifer with Chucky's semen.
Later on, Chucky takes Glen with him for a "boy's night out". While driving Redman's 2003 Hummer H2 SUV down the highway, Chucky is cut in front of Britney Spears, who flips him off after he beeps at her 1996 Mercedes-Benz SL 500 convertible, but he responds by flipping her off. He rear-ends her car, causing Spears to lose control and go off road down hill. This also causes an explosion and Chucky jokingly says "Oops, I did it again", before doing his usual laughter. Later on, they proceed to go Pete Peters' darkroom. Chucky prepares to kill him, but Glen tries to save Peters from getting killed. Peters bumps into a shelf, causing a jar of sulfuric acid to pour onto him, accidentally killing him. Chucky takes a picture of him with Glen and Peters' now dead body.
The next day, unable to remember what happened last night, Jennifer and Redman wake up. At dinner, Jennifer tries to tell Redman that she's pregnant, but he claims he already had a vasectomy and refuses to keep her as part of his upcoming film. When Tiffany hears this, she gets upset and decides to take a knife. After Jennifer leaves, Tiffany guts Redman with the knife. When Glen sees this, Tiffany tells him that it was just a "momentary slip". Glen starts winking his eye. The next day, Jennifer wakes up, only to find out that she has a fully pregnant belly, horrifiyng her. When Tiffany sees the picture of Peters' body, she becomes enraged that Chucky went back to his old evil roots.
Tiffany later decides to dump Chucky and Chucky angrily tells her that nobody leaves him. He then goes after Tiffany and Glen. Tiffany gets chopped up and tells Glen to not make the same mistakes his parents made. Glen chops Chucky into pieces and bursts into tears.
Five years later, the two twins that Jennifer Tilly gave birth to are named Glen and Glenda. Glen is given a birthday present and it turns out to be Chucky’s arm. Chucky’s arm wraps around Glen’s neck and the film cuts to black with Chucky’s laugh being heard at the end.
Why It Sucks
- The storyline for this film in the series is degrading and off-balance.
- The opening with Chucky’s sperm going inside the spot where Glen or Glenda was inside Tiffany’s body was a poor way to open a Chucky film.
- Pointless dream sequence at the beginning.
- Pointless cameos by Redman, Jennifer Tilly playing herself and John Waters.
- Unfunny running gag of Glen or Glenda wetting his pants after seeing someone get killed.
- Laughable and awkward quotes (eg. When John Waters’ character sees Chucky masturbating, he takes pictures of Chucky masturbating and says "A masturbating midget? Get it Mini Me!" and finishes it off with "God bless the little people!")
- Referencing an Ed Wood film in a Chucky/Child's Play film doesn’t fit the film’s tone.
- Most films that star Chucky have scenes that are amusing. However, a majority of scenes in this film that are meant to be funny aren’t funny and come off as completely degrading.
- Unlike the previous films that are meant to be scary, this film in the series is barely even scary.
- Seeing Chucky masturbate was totally unnecessary and gross.
- How does Glen know how to speak Japanese and how does he know Kung Fu?
- A movie within a movie is seen where filmmakers are shooting a film called Chucky Goes Psycho.
- Horrendous dialogue.
- Poor writing and directing by Don Mancini, the creator of Chucky.
- A majority of the death scenes are pointless and over the top. For example: John Waters' character dies after sulfuric acid spills on him, Redman dies after getting his chest cut open, Chucky runs a Britney Spears look-alike off the road, when Jennifer Tilly’s agent gets burned and even Chucky’s death is pointless; Glen cuts him up by using an axe.
- Billy Boyd who plays Glen/Glenda does a good job voicing and isn't that bad of an actor.
- The special effects are pretty good.
- The idea of Chucky having a kid was interesting.
- The score is pretty good.
- Brad Dourif's performance as Chucky was still good despite a majority of lines that were lame.
The film currently holds a 32% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 75 reviews, with an average rating of 4.4/10, but it doesn't hold a consensus. Roger Ebert of The Chicago Sun-Times gave the film a 2 out of 4 stars and stated that the film "is actually two movies, one wretched, the other funny."
Seed of Chucky opened at #4 on its opening weekend with a domestic gross of $8,774,520. The total domestic gross was $17,083,732. In overseas markets, it made $7,745,912. Overall, the film grosssed $24,829,644 against its $12 million budget and was deemed a box office disappointment.
- Universal Studios, which distributes most of the Chucky films, refused to distribute this film in the series. However, an affiliate of Universal Studios called Focus Features distributed this film.
- In the trailer, the Britney Spears look a like just turned around and looked at Chucky and Glen in the car instead of flipping them off.