Strange Magic is a 2015 animated fantasy musical directed by Gary Rydstrom and based on a story written by George Lucas. The film stars Evan Rachael Wood, Alan Cumming, Sam Poladio, Maya Rudolph and Kristen Chenoweth. It grossed $13.6 million worldwide against a budget of approximately around $70-100 million.
When the Bog King kidnaps the daughter of the King for a love potion, her sister Marianne must save her.
Why It Sucks
- The Imp is a poor-man's version of Scrat.
- Marianne's fairies are pointless because they only appear when a musical number with her comes on, they have no dialogue and once, the "rescue" part of the plot comes along, we never see them again.
- Most of the music is just pop songs used in a gratuitous and\or random way instead of actually helping the plot (But at least the actors can sing).
- The Sugar Plum Fairy is annoying (Says AniMat), loud and is just a blatant plot device.
- Unfunny constant joke with the frog creature, Thang, mispronouncing words that he is told (As the mighty Nostalgia Critic once told us, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try ,try try, try, try UNTIL YOUR LITTLE MIND CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!).
- Predictable love story from beginning to end.
- Once Disney inherited the movie by purchasing Lucasfilm, they basically disowned the thing: the logo is the Touchstone one, the film was rushed into theaters with very little promotion and Disney didn't even bother releasing it on Blu-Ray, just DVD.
- Wasted the talents of Evan Rachael Wood, Alan Cumming, Sam Poladio, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Chenoweth, and others who were involved in this film.
- Really good animation.
- Good voice acting.
- Decent song covers.
- The Bog King is actually a pretty good character.