The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is a 2005 Action, Adventure, Family movie directed and written by Robert Rodriguez (known for Sin City as well as the Spy Kids franchise). The film stars Taylor Lautner (the same guy who played Jacob in the Twilight Saga), Taylor Dooley, Cayden Boyd, Jacob Davich, George Lopez and Sasha Pieterse. The movie was created as a gift for Robert Rodriguez's son, Racer Max Rodriguez. His sons were also in the movie as cameos. The film was released on June 10, 2005 and, while it sounded cool to have a movie made for the director's son, it was panned by both critics and audiences. Much like the Spy Kids franchise, the movie later received a cult following.
A boy named Max (Cayden Boyd) has a wild imagination, he dreams of two imaginary friends named Sharkboy (Taylor Lautner) and Lavagirl (Taylor Dooley) and a planet known as "Planet Drool". Some of his dreams are so powerful that they can actually come to life. His classmates, except for a girl named Marissa (Sasha Pieterse), don't believe him, especially a kid named Linus (Jacob Davich) who bullies him mercilessly for it, but one day on a stormy weather, his imaginary friends crash into school, recruiting him to help them on a mission to save Planet Drool from the Darkness and the corrupted Mr. Electric (George Lopez).
Why it sucks
- Just like in the Spy Kids movies, the CGI and greenscreen effects are either laughable or pantswettingly terrifying.
- Somewhat misleading title, while Sharkboy and Lavagirl are the center characters of this film, they aren't the main characters, the real main character is Max. What is it with Movies with Misleading Titles?
- Linus is SUPER unlikable, but he does redeem himself at the end.
- Acting that is both cheesy and cringe-worthy.
- Repetitive 3D effects.
- If you thought Mr. Freeze's ice puns from Batman and Robin were repetitive, Mr. Electric has some electric puns that are just as bad as, if not worse than, Mr. Freeze's ice puns.
- Sharkboy is rude and immature for most of the movie.
- The story and concept is very interesting.
- Some scenes are unintentionally hilarious, such as the scene where Mr. Electric farts on one of his robotic minions.
- One scene is so unintentionally hilarious that it spawned the "He ruined my dream journal!" meme.
- The action scenes are so bad, they're actually good.
- Marissa is a very nice character.
- The Dream Song (sung by Sharkboy) was pretty catchy.
- The soundtrack is alright.
- Sharkboy does have a good backstory. Just wish we got one for Lavagirl...