The Christmas Tree is a 1991 animated Christmas special that has gained a cult following as the WORST Christmas special of all time, as acknowledged by The Nostalgia Critic.
The Plot begins to takes place in an orphanage run by the evil Mrs. Mavilda. She steals the orphanage's funds and tricks the mayor into thinking she's a good manager. The kids are so miserable they latch onto a pine tree as a mother figure. Things begin to change when a new family moves to town, and the mayor assigns the mother, Judy, to a position as Mrs. Mavilda's assistant. She and her two children live at the orphanage while their husband/father must live elsewhere for his new job. Judy takes the orphans under her wing and tries to make life better for them. When Mrs. Mavilda decides to frame Judy for a crime in order to have her removed, the children make a desperate bid to appeal to Santa Claus for help.
Why it Sucked
- Horrible animation. Frames are just missing sometimes.
- Voice acting that sounds like not one of the actors is trying. The orphan children sound the worst though. Judy's voice is the only voice in this film that is pleasant to listen to.
- The story is all over the place with plot points that are immediately forgotten as soon as they are brought up.
- Terrible editing and sound-mixing.
- Very creepy facial expressions, especially when the kids are smiling.
- The so-called "moral" of the movie at the end, "you always win when you are good", (basically saying you always get what you want) feels shoe-horned in at the last minute and has nothing to do with the movie's story or even the meaning of Christmas itself.
- Most of the kids are voiced by child actors but one of the them is voiced by an 18-year-old. Why?
- Lily (one of the main characters) falls off a cliff and is presumed dead, but re-appears with no explanation, and no-one says anything, when Mrs. Mavilda attempts to down the tree, then disappears again but is brought back by Santa Claus and everyone is rejoiced and happy at her second return but seemed fine with her coming back the first time. This is just confusing and hurts your brain at the level of stupidity.
- One shot in a street shows a man teleporting into the scene out of nowhere, this may be that they either forgot or where too lazy to add him into the previous frames proving that the animators truly did not try at all.
- In one scene Mrs. Mavilda tries to take a dog away to a pound but it breaks free and runs away, and the children all cheer but it looks more like they are having seizures due to their weird shaking and jumping movements and loud mumbling and screaming.
- Judy's son is named "Pappy" - a name that is usually associated with grandparents.
- Awful character designs. Their eyes are way too detailed.
- Mrs. Mavilda is too scary and threatening for the target audience.
- Gambling in a kid's film.
- The bear's design in this film rips off Baloo from Disney's "The Jungle Book".