Ever since this film had been released, it has received extremely negative reviews by critic's and fans alike, and not only is considered by many as one of the WORST sequel's of all time, but also as one of the WORST sequel's to a franchise EVER MADE.
Bastian's dream to get a sibling becomes true when his father re-marries, but soon he has trouble with his new stepsister Nicole and with a gang of school bullies, the Nasties. Hiding in the school library, Bastian finds his favorite book of THE NEVERENDING STORY, where it is later found by Slip, the gang leader. The latter recognizes the power of the book and begins to form Fantasia after his bad intentions. When the chaos becomes worse the Child-like Empress requests Bastian to move back to the real world, get the book back and save Fantasia. Accidentally some Fantasia characters travel with him to reality, but get lost in different places. Meanwhile Slip and the other Nasties spread anarchy. Finally, Bastian gets support from Nicole, who begins to believe in the power of Fantasia.
Why it Sucks
- Like the second film, the actors are completely different.
- While this is supposed to be a sequel to The NeverEnding Story II:The Next Chapter, the movie has no connection to the past two films and feels more like a reboot to the series.
- This film has a much more comical, light hearted tone, which compare to other film is a bit out of place as while the first two films were also light hearted with some humor here and there, they had a good sense of drama and dark moments as well.
- The Nasties (with the exception of Slip) are much weaker villains compare to The Nothing from the first film and especially Mistress Xayide from the second film.
- In one of the DVD titles, it says The NeverEnding Story III: Escape from Fantasisa, which even the title itself doesn't make any real sense as they don't escape from Fantasisa.
- Awful acting, except from Jack Black, who can be entertaining.
- Theirs TV In the world of Fantasia (it was shown that The Rock Biter has TV at his home), despite the fact that TV is (for the most part) the number one thing that keeps children from reading (When the Nostalgia Critic talk about this, he said:"Hmph, what a fucking hypocritical word!").
- In the second film, Bastian's dad thinks that the book is magical. But in this film, it's never mentioned.
- Poor plot.
- The Childlike Empress looks nothing like a child.
- Laughable dialog from most of the characters, one notable example is the scene were Falcor and the Rock Biter Baby enters a pride with paper dragons, Flacor says the most irritable line "They may not be from Fantasisa, but there some cute dragons here!".
- The Childlike Empress's sidekick look strangely like Megamind (even Nostalgia Critic referred him to said character in his review of the film).
- The scene were Bastion trys to hide the Rock Bitter Baby from his mother and father is a rip off of E.T..
- Theres this humanoid tree person that doesn't do anything other then be a filler and a running gag.
- The personality of the characters from Fantasia were insultingly changed from the first two films (Falcor has change from an octicmystic, brave and wise dragon into a cowardly (but still smart) dragon, The Rock Biter has change from a calm, caring and lade-back rock monster into a generic house person who has a family, who are also like a bad sitcom, and the worst part is: he can sing and The Childlike Empress has change from a wise, calm, kind and caring ruler of the land into your generic princess-type character that some what acts like a complete jerk to her friends.).
- And specking of the Rock Bitters family, they are all annoying with really bad voice actors, The Rock Bitters wife has a lower pitch voice of the original Rock Bitter, and the baby has higher but still lower pitch voice of the original Rock Bitter, while they all sound like the same actor doing all three parts, its actually two actors, one actor is doing the Rock Biter and the baby, and the other actor is doing the wife, tho you wouldn't know that unless you looked it up.
- In one scene were Bastion is about to enter the book, the screen enters a very bizarre crazy scene, which is highly disorienting.
- Forgettable music. (ex. The Rock Biter Song) The movie doesn't even use the original NeverEnding Story theme at the ending credits like the first two films, instead, it's The Rock Bitter's song.
- Some of the scenes don't make sense, like when Bastian can't wish to defeat The Nasty that the Childlike Empress disagreed on him and then Nicole suddenly CAN use wishes (the Nostalgia Critic even said that The Nastys, who are the main villains of the film, act more like hero's then Bastion.).
- Bad effects and poorly made animations. (Both Falcor and The Rock Biter look's NOTHING like they were in the first two films)
- Bastian is a complete bonehead. He was going to school, but leaves Junior and the Orin at home, which prompts Nicole to use it.
- Atereyu, one of the main characters from the first two films, is not in this movie at all, nor does he even get mentioned by anyone.
- Slip is highly entertaining.
- There are some good funny moments here and there, such as the scene were the Rock Bitter's Wife faints in a hilarious way after hearing from the Rock Bitter that Jr went to the human world.