Uwe Boll (born June 22, 1965) is a German director, producer and screenwriter based in Canada, whose work includes several films adapted from video games. He finances his own films through his Boll KG and Event Film Productions production companies. Many of his films are produced on low budgets and received highly negative reviews from critics and gamers alike when released, (except for Tunnel Rats and Rampage which the critics actually gave mainly positive reviews).
As of 2017, he is now a blogger and he has a talk show on his official YouTube channel while he suspends his career on filmmaking to focus on his YouTube channel.
List of films he directed
- House of the Dead
- Alone in the Dark
- BloodRayne 2: Deliverance
- Alone in the Dark II
- Far Cry
- BloodRayne: The Third Reich
- In the Name of the King
- Tunnel Rats
- Rampage: Capital Punishment
- Rampage: President Down
- Assault on Wall Street
- In the Name of the King 2
- In the Name of the King 3: The Last Mission
- Heart of America
Why His Films Sucked
- He mostly directs video-game-adapted films, purely to avoid coming up with new scripts.
- Poor connection to the source material.
- Poor acting.
- Over-use of sex scenes.
- Bad special effects and film editing. House of the Dead, for example, did not manage to edit out the game's HUD and audio when using the stock footage from the first three House of the Dead arcade games.
- He was running a scam similar to that in the movie The Producers. Specifically, he exploited loopholes in a German tax break system designed to support investment in the film industry, which paid out even if the film was a complete bomb. So if the movie loses money, the investor got a tax write-off. When the loopholes were removed, people stopped investing in Boll.
- He himself is also known for being unable to take criticism, even challenging his critics to boxing matches where he beats them to a pulp, most infamously Somethingawful.com owner Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka (this was so jarring, a film entitled Raging Boll was made about this and even Postal 3 mocked it by allowing the Postal Dude to kill him either by beating him into a bloody pulp or just straightaway shooting him like what Indiana Jones did in Raiders of the Lost Ark).
- He goes on a short tirade to insult his fans and supporters calling them "retarded amateur idiots" for not reaching a crowdfunding goal for his upcoming film Rampage 3 (aka Rampage: President Down) on Kickstarter in his rant on his official YouTube channel (Warning: The video's title and description are NSFW, so proceed with caution).
- He makes his films a laughable atrocity.
- He filled a lawsuit on the 2018 Warner Bros. Film Rampage (a movie based on the monster video game series of the same name by Warner Bros. Games, formerly Midway/Bally Midway) because it was more successful than his film.
- Despite being fully aware that he's bad at making films, he has made no attempts to do better.
- He has a German restaurant in Vancouver, BC called Bauhaus that sells some great German food and it won an international accolade.
- Tunnel Rats and Rampage have been well received by both critics and fans. It just shows that not all of Boll's films are bad; some can actually be good.
- His war film Darfur was made to raise awareness of the genocidal war being fought in the country of the same name and to raise money to help refugees of the war. This shows that Boll can be willing to make movies for a good cause and has an empathetic side to him.