Uwe Boll (born June 22, 1965) is a German director, producer and screenwriter based in Canada, whose work includes several films adapted from video games. He finances his own films through his Boll KG and Event Film Productions production companies. Many of his films are produced on low budgets and received highly negative reviews from critics and gamers alike when released, (except for Tunnel Rats and Rampage which the critics actually gave mainly positive reviews).
As of 2017, he is now a blogger and he has a talk show on his official YouTube channel while he suspends his career on filmmaking to focus on his YouTube channel.
List of films he directed
- House of the Dead
- Alone in the Dark
- BloodRayne 2: Deliverance
- Alone in the Dark II
- Far Cry
- BloodRayne: The Third Reich
- In the Name of the King
- Tunnel Rats
- Assault on Wall Street
- In the Name of the King 2
- In the Name of the King 3: The Last Mission
- Heart of America
Why His Films Sucked
- He mostly directs video-game-adapted films, purely to avoid coming up with new scripts.
- Poor connection to the source material.
- Poor acting.
- Over-use of sex scenes.
- Bad special effects and film editing. House of the Dead, for example, did not managed to edit out the game's HUD when using the stock footage from the first three House of the Dead arcade games.
- He exercises German tax loopholes that reward his investments into the movie, even if they totally bomb. So if the movie loses money, the investor got a tax write-off. When the loopholes were removed, people stopped investing in Boll.
- He himself is also known for being unable to take criticism, challenging his critics to boxing matches where he beats them to a pulp (this was so jarring, a film entitled Raging Boll was made about this).
- He goes on a short tirade to insult his fans and supporters calling them "retarded amateur idiots" for not reaching a crowdfunding goal for his upcoming film Rampage 3 on Kickstarter in his rant on his official YouTube channel (Warning: The video's title and description are NSFW, so proceed with caution).
- He has a German restaurant in Vancouver, BC called Bauhaus that sells some great German food and it won an international accolade.
- Tunnel Rats and Rampage have been well received by both critics and fans. It just shows that not all Boll's films are bad; some can actually be good.
- His war film Darfur was made to raise awareness of the genocidal war being fought in the country of the same name and to raise money to help refugees of the war. This shows that Boll can be willing to make movies for a good cause and has an empathetic side to him.