Yonggary (용가리), also known as Reptilian in the US, is a 1999/2001 kaiju film by Shim Hyung-rae. It is a "reimagining" of the original 1967 Yongary film, and is heavily inspired by the success of the Heisei/VS Godzilla films, not to mention Shusuke Kaneko‘s Gamera trilogy and Roland Emmerich‘s 1998 Godzilla movie.
The original 1999 version of the movie is known for not receiving any home video release.
American archaeologists discovered the remains of an ancient alien expedition and the giant fossil of a 394-foot dinosaur, called Yonggary. When an alien invasion force decides to resurrect Yonggary as a weapon, the US military decides to collaborate with Dr. Hughes (Harrison Young) and tries to stop it.
Why It Sucks
- Poor acting.
- Unoriginal and uninspired story, complete with pointless subplots, one of which involves a stereotypical, obstructive bureaucrat.
- Extremely terrible CGI and green-screen effects.
- Cheesy and mind-numbingly nonsensical dialogue; in one scene, one of the characters proclaimed he "created Yonggary", despite the fact that he only found its fossil.
- The action scenes are too boring and repetitive.
- Takes a potshot against Godzilla, which only comes across as being arrogant and downright insulting.